The Center offers Forensic Interviews, medical exams, specialized interviews, psycho-social assessments and other services through our Child Protection Team (CPT). We have two Board Certified Pediatricians and two ARNPs on staff to provide medical exams on a 24/7 basis.
We also serve as expert court witnesses and collaborate with Law Enforcement and other agencies through multidisciplinary team staffings.
In April of 2010, the Florida Department of Health awarded the Child Protection Team (CPT) contract for Lake and Sumter Counties to the CAC. Prior to this, the University of Florida Child Protection Team, based in Gainesville, provided these services for this area.
Between April 1, 2010 and June 30, 2013, our CPT has performed the following services:
- 760 medical exams
- more than 1000 specialized interviews (related to non-criminal cases)
- more than 1300 forensic interviews (where the case has a criminal aspect)
Our CPT handles 2% of Florida's abuse reports, yet we are 5th in the state in the number of psycho-social assessments performed. These are in-depth whole-family assessments to determine which services are needed for effective and appropriate parenting.
Our CPT staff includes:
- On-staff ARNP, Edith D'Aquilla-Lloyd, who have completed specialized training in child abuse
- Medical Director, Dr. Oludapo Soremi, Board Certified Pediatrician and Hospitalist with the Central Florida Health Alliance
- Medical Provider, Dr. Rafael Cheas, Board Certified Pediatrician
- Senior Case Coordinator and Intake Specialist, Holly Sharlow
- Data Entry, Roberta Mingolla
Training Provided by CPT
Our CPT team has provided training sessions for Law Enforcement and the Department of Children and Families and medical training to the Emergency Room staff at LRMC. We have also provided training to First Responders (Law Enforcement and DCF), local pediatricians and elementary and middle school guidance counselors on how to initially respond to a child abuse case.